Enlarged Prostate or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is mistaken to be simply a case of too many prostate cells. But, in fact, there is no cure for BPH and once prostate growth starts, it often continues, unless medical therapy is started. The prostate gland grows in two different ways. In the first type of growth, the cells multiply around the urethra and squeeze it, much like you can squeeze a straw.
The second type of growth is the middle-lobe prostate growth, in which the cells grow into the urethra and the bladder outlet area. This type of growth typically requires surgery.
Sign & Symptoms of Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
- Blood in the urine (i.e. hematuria), caused by straining to void
- Dribbling after voiding
- Feeling that the bladder has not emptied completely even after urination
- Frequent urination, particularly at night (nocturia)
- Hesitant, interrupted or weak urine stream caused by decreased force
- Leakage of urine (overflow incontinence)
- Pushing or straining to begin urination
- Recurrent, sudden, urgent need to urinate
One of India’s most common problems is stone in kidney. Kidney stones are hardened mineral deposits formed in the kidney. They start as microscopic particles and over the course of time develop into bigger stones. The kidneys filter waste products from the blood and adds them to the urine. When waste materials in the urine do not dissolve completely and the kidney is unable to evacuate them, crystals and kidney stones are likely to form.
A stone lodged in the outlet of kidney can block the flow of urine, build a back-pressure in the affected kidney and cause severe pain. Various factors responsible for stone formation are insufficient fluid intake, excessive calcium and other salts in diet, high concentration of calcium and other salts in urine and obstruction or infection in the urinary system.
Many kidney stones do not cause any symptom (silent stone). However, generally the symptoms are:
- Strong or dull pain in the upper back or side
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blood in the urine
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Fever and rigor or chills
- Signs of kidney failure
Along with age related benign enlargement the incidence of prostate cancer also increases with age. A small percentage of patients presenting with symptoms of prostate enlargement may have cancer in the prostate. Early diagnosis and judging the stage of cancer accurately holds the key to curative treatment and best plan of management.
This is achieved by a special blood test (PSA), clinical examination, a special (trans-rectal) ultrasound and accurate biopsies.
Symptoms are often similar to those of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Men observing the following signs and/or symptoms should see their physician for a thorough examination:
- Blood in urine or semen
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Inability to urinate
- Nagging pain or stiffness in the back, hips, upper thighs, or pelvis
- Painful ejaculation
- Pain or burning during urination (dysuria)
- Weak or interrupted urine flow
Radiology (Ultrasound,Color Doppler and X-Ray)
We have recently introduced State of The Art Ultrasound system called – LOGIC S 8 from Wipro GE healthcare which features a high end ultrasound system with elastography and contrast ultrasound. This provides high definition sonography for our patients.
High end Ultrasound system with colour doppler.All non obstetric ultrasound guided interventions like FNA , Biopsies done here.
Full time (10am to 6 pm) X ray clinic with facility for in house emergency radiographs Portable Xray machine available for in house bed ridden patients. Ultrasound and colour Doppler clinic.
Non obstetric ultrasound guided interventions like FNAC, Biopsies,thoracocentesis etc done, for all ultrasound appointments please call + 91 7303122551 and @Mlrai Health-Patient App.
Others Service / Treament offers are:
- Endo Urology procedures and surgeries for calculus, prostate, bladder tumors etc
- Uro oncology( urological cancer surgery)
- ESWL : state of the art Dornier Lithotripsy machine
- Ultrasound and colour Doppler, 2 D Echo.
- X Ray
- Uroflow metry
- Pathology Lab
- Surgical gastro enterology OPD ( Dr C H Kale)
- Gynecology: Dr Swarupa Iye